Welcome to our first newsletter!
We have decided to embrace the marvels of modern technology and redeveloped our website with our web team! In order to keep in touch with you, our supporters, we have decided to start a quarterly newsletter. We hope that using the contemporary Internet technology will help us to preserve and promote the treasures of the past.
Since I was born in the Czech republic, Czech and Slovak cultural heritage preservation continues to be a focal point of our company’s mission. We are excited to continue developing new educational programs about traditional cultural crafts for children and adults, publish books and travel to Czech and Slovak communities nationwide to share our eggspertize..
As part of our cultural heritage preservation effort, we were delighted to join the Oregon Folklife Network Apprentice/Mentor Program in 2012. I became a mentor and Teresa O’Donnell became my apprentice. The program was focused on Egg decorating in Czech republic & Slovakia and was designed to teach Teresa how to decorate eggs and how to share her knowledge with children and adults in our community. I hope to create more apprentice opportunities in the future by offering the “Teach the Teacher” workshops in Czech & Slovak communities nationwide.
Review of events:
- March: sponsored producer John Honner of Czech-American TV USA to come to Oregon to film three episodes focused Czech traditions. Two of the episodes were already broadcasted: Czech Easter Traditions on April 1 and traditional Czech liver sausage (Jitrnice) on April 8. To watch these episodes go to catvusa.com (video archive – older broadcasts);
- April: published a new children’s activity book: Portland, Oregon, City of Roses – coloring & activity book;
- June: completed Oregon Folklife Network Mentor/Apprentice Grant project with Teresa O’Donnell;
- June: travelled to Sokol Slet 2013 in Milwaukee, WI to promote cultural programs and publications.
- August: Scandinavian Festival in Junction City, OR
- September: Mt. Angel Oktoberfest in Mt. Angel, OR
- September: Polish Festival in St. Stanislaus Church in Portland, OR
- October: CSGSI (Czech & Slovak Genealogy Society International) convention, St. Charles, IL
- For more details about events please go to events page.